Top 10 Best Anime Series of 2010

Next year, I will find some better pictures to put as the heading to each post x)

I made it to the end! With this, I have finally released the last of my lists in all their glory. I hope you’ve enjoyed all that you’ve seen and you’ll stick around for another year at this little blog known as Anime Princess! Thank you for all your support! I hope you find it awesome!

10. Arakawa Under the Bridge

I didn’t enjoy this series as much as I had hoped, but it still had some great characters and outrageous stories. The thing I enjoyed best about it is that one of its messages was that its good to go against the “norm of society”. It also had a great OP and was pretty funny throughout.

9. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

I know this is a series with stupid and crude humour, but I still managed to really enjoy it. It broke through the cookie cutter anime that we see each year by being unique and different. It always pushed the boundaries and didn’t care who it offended. I definitely appreciate this series for being something new and all the references to Western culture help to make it a fun watch.

8. High School of the Dead

Despite the fact that so much of this series was just boobs in different situations, it was still pretty great! The action was so entertaining and the overload of fanservice was sort of hilarious more than anything. This show was insane in all the right ways. It never took a moment to breathe, which is what i wanted and for those reasons alone, it had to make the list!

7. Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

This series was definitely one of the best slice of life/comedy series I’ve seen in a while. It knew how to keep up with a slow paced plot without falling down a slow drain of boring. It managed to be a pretty good laugh with some great characters. At a first glance, it may turn some people off, but this is a series to stick around with because it proves itself worthy of praise.

6. Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu

Haruhi is one of the most clever franchises I’ve ever seen. It knows how to create buzz and tease its viewers, while still managing to please the fans at the very end. This over two and a half hour film was surprisingly fantastic. I’m usually disappointed by series to movie creations, but this film is such a big exception. It took moments we loved and brought in a new great story story, which together made this nothing less from awesomeness.

5. Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

I preferred the first half to this series over the second half which aired in 2010, but it was still a very amusing series and so much better than the original parent story. Basically if you want to know my reason to why it made this list, check out my post “13 Reasons to watch Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

4. Kuragehime

Kuragehime is sure to steal your heart away with its overload of charm. It was so like-able. I was only a bit disappointed by the end, but I’m hoping it was done as such so we could hope for a sequel! This series was adorable and engaging, and should definitely not get overlooked. If you’re ever looking for a series that you know you’ll like, then look no further, no matter what your taste it, you’ll find something that appeals to you with this series.

3. K-ON!!

People will always have their problems with slice of life series, but I tend to enjoy the genre most of the time. K-ON!! is definitely one of my favourites and it manages to keep me interested even with 39 episodes. It has great characters and good music. At first while watching this season I was a bit concerned to hear that it was going to have 26 episodes, but my emotions quickly changed when every episode continued to impress me. This season was better than the first even because it gave off this more realistic flare and ended up relating to the characters on so many levels. I don’t care what others say, I’ll always be a fan of this series!

2. Angel Beats!

Angel Beats did not reach the standard that I expect from key, but it still managed to impress me. It created a fantastic setting and a pretty good story to go with it. Once I started watching, I had to see it all. It still had some trademark key moments like making us go down an emotional roller coaster, to a lesser extent this time around, but this series still made me feel sentimental on more than one occasion. In the long run, this series gets the number two spot because it was entertaining and reminded me that really good anime series are still out there despite all the bad stuff.

1. Durarara!!

This was without a doubt the most enjoyable series of the year! I usually prefer shorter series, but even at twenty-four episodes it stayed so awesome. It told a story where it kept you interested right up to the last seconds while never missing a beat. The action was brilliant and it still remained extremely clever. It’s like Inception in that it manages to be a really popular film/anime without losing its style and remaining complex and intriguing. Don’t even get me started on the characters, but to keep it simple so many of them are just the best you’ll ever find. I would easily rewatch this series at any time! If there is anything you watch from the year 2010, make it Durarara!!

64 thoughts on “Top 10 Best Anime Series of 2010

1. Jesse

Great list tho im highly surprised the world god only knows didnt make the top 10. But the top 3 are perfect, noone should complain about those. I also highly recommend shiki, in case you have not already seen it.

1. lostty Post author

Time was not on my side and I wanetd to watch both the titles you mentioned, but never got enough chance! They’re still high on my list for what to watch next

1. Jesse

Ah that is understandable. I hope you get to watch those 2 series in the future. Either way congratulations on another successful year at Animeprincess. I plan to continue following your blog, and wish you the best of luck in 2011.

1. lostty Post author

I’m currently watching The World God Only Knows! Pretty enjoyable so far.
          Thank you so much for the nice comment. I love having you visit my blog and we’ve had some awesome conversations. I hope you have a great 2011 as well!

2. Yumeka

I only picked 5 favorites for the year, but you had 4/5 of them on your list =D I especially liked that you ranked Angel Beats! so high ^^ People tend to look at that show more for what it didn’t do rather than what it did do, which kinda disappoints me since it was my favorite TV series of the year (overall favorite would be the Haruhi movie of course :3)
    Yumeka´s latest post ..Anime powers I would like to have

1. lostty Post author

People really did hate on Angel Beats! so much and I completely agree that people didn’t watch it with an open mind and compared it too much. I’m glad you enjoyed my list! :)

1. lostty Post author

The last episode wasn’t terrible, but the last 5 minutes and attempted conclusion I’ll admit were very weak. I’m still hoping for a sequel though!

1. lostty Post author

I think you mean the novels, which I’ve started to read. I would be so happy to here it got greenlit for another season. I don’t see why it shouldn’t!!

3. Noblesse Demon

Angel beats was so sad, Its a great series overall but I just didn’t/don’t want to accept that end.
    They should just… I don’t know. Make another season or something when they all… err… are better.
    (Don’t know if that would be classified as a spoiler…)

1. lostty Post author

Another season I think could be possible, but I would probably prefer a new series from key once again. It was pretty sad and whenever I think back on the show, I’m surprised I didn’t cry more actually. Those kids had it rough x)

1. animelover :>

im so happy that k-on is on the list and im glad that it is in the high rate.But actually im expecting that inuyasha would be there on your list but its ok i hope you like inuyasha and it will be post on your list. Thank you for posting k-on.
        :>:>:>:>

4. Bryan

I may have to check out some of these. I found your site after searching for anime like pale cocoon. Now I know they have a genre called slice of life. Thanks :)

1. lostty Post author

Thanks for stopping by and I’m glad I was able to enlighten you! x) These are some good anime series that I’m sure most would enjoy, especially Durarara!!

5. 7iz

hell0
    can someone list for me a top 10 anime that i should watch other than one piece, naruto, bleach, fairy tail and other well-known anime…
    i am hoping that the anime list will be as great as k-on and HOTD….
    thank you..

1. 7iz

naah…i juz want to know a list of unfamous and popular anime but still good to be watched…for example anime Air The Movie, Big Wind Up:Summer Tournament Chapter and Planet Survival…
        -let say that i am a cult fan who looking forward to watch anime that other don’t know or like…

1. lostty Post author

Sorry I don’t know any lists like that, but some recommendations I can give you myself are: Hakaba Kitarou, Miyori’s Forest, Mai-Mai Miracle and Yumedamaya Kidan. Hope that I can at least help a bit?

6. animelover :>

I never expect that k-on would be on the list. And I’m glad that k-on will be on a high rate. But actually I’m expecting that inuyasha would be on the list. But it’s ok as long as k-on is on the list please I’m begging you to post inuyasha there next time ok. Thank you for posting k-on. :>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

1. lostty Post author

thanks, well the list pertains to series from 2010 and I see how Inuyasha could have made it on since its sequel came in this year, but I never saw it….maybe I’ll check it out. As for next year, I don’t think Inuyasha can make the list as nothing from 2011 will come from the series. Who knows though

1. lostty Post author

Although it may seem confusing at first, the point is that everything will soon come together by the end. I highly recommend you continue to watch!

1. lostty Post author

The story for Durarara!! is quite complicated, you can find my review for it here: http://animeprincess.kokidokom.net/2010/09/durarara-review/
      The storyline, which I’ll take directly from mal is: “In Tokyo’s downtown district of Ikebukuro, amidst many strange rumors and warnings of anonymous gangs and dangerous occupants, one urban legend stands out above the rest – the existence of a headless “Black Rider” who is said to be seen driving a jet-black motorcycle through the city streets.

Ryuugamine Mikado has always longed for the excitement of the city life, and an invitation from a childhood friend convinces him to move to Tokyo. Witnessing the Black Rider on his first day in the city, his wishes already seem to have been granted. But as supernatural events begin to occur, ordinary citizens like himself, along with Ikebukuro’s most colorful inhabitants, are mixed up in the commotion breaking out in their city.”

7. Kyiraku

Durarara is one of my favorites,Baccano is alot like it and is also really good . Ao no Exorcist or Blue Exorcist is really good to. i heard there was only going to be 24 episodes though, Deadman Wonderland is pretty good to only 12 eps

1. lostty Post author

Durarara is obviously pretty great, I didn’t like Baccano as much as I expected though.
      The other two you named are from 2011. I like Blue Exorcist, not perfect but good entertainment, I think its going to have 25 episodes actually. As for Deadman Wonderland, the first four episodes were good and then it got to be pretty terrible.

8. BlackBriar

I fully agree on all the shows on this list. But what about the horror genre of anime? What’s your vote on Shiki?

1. lostty Post author

I’m only in the process of watching it right now, which is why it didn’t make the list. It’s okay so far, the soundtrack is good, but it’s not super interesting.

1. BlackBriar

You’ll love it. It’s awesome and by the end, you won’t know which side you’ll want to be on. This is the kind of anime that stirs up a lot of conversations and debates. And trust me, since it came out, there have been a lot of them. And I’m on the Shiki side.

9. someonefromouterspace

when i watched Durarara.. i literally couldn’t sleep thinking about it… it blew my mind… it really deserves first place! XD

1. lostty Post author

Ya I remember having a feeling similar to that. All I could do for about a week, day and night, was think about Durarara…good times x)

10. Chii

I’m actually glad Durarara made the top spot. The characters were amazing, and memorable.

Also, personally Angel Beats was an ok anime, I just felt like I wanted more from it :c. otherwise, I pretty much agreee with you.
    Chii´s latest post ..LM.C

1. lostty Post author

I can understand. Although I enjoyed Angel Beats while I watched it, when I think back on it I don’t think of it nearly as highly as I used to.

1. lostty Post author

haha, sorry xD At the time I wrote this list I hadn’t seen the complete series, but now that I have, I can definitely say it would have probably taken second place on the list. It really was fantastic!