Top 10 Animes of 2009

A cat and some fish. How awesome is that!

Its Finally here! The last of the lists and with this, 2009 truly ends…probably….Don’t ask me why Clannad or Toradora is not on this list, they are great animes, but my list is composed of animes that started their air dates in 2009.

10. Time of Eve

Time of Eve went a bit too much under the radar in the anime world. It was an incredible ONA with an extremely interesting plot. I don’t think it is really possible to just blatantly hate this series and with episodes at a length shorter than most I am surprised more people did not watch this.

9. Cencoroll

Despite not thinking Cencoroll was the best thing out there, I still appreciate it for many reasons and the more I think about Cencoroll the more I seem to like it. The characters were all intriguing as was the story, if only it were longer…

8. K-ON!

People are way too harsh to K-ON! It sort of is like with Lucky Star, you either will hate the series or love it. I personally loved Lucky Star, but the similarity it shares with K-ON! is that it is a slice of life. The slice of life genre does not really have tons of appeal to everyone, but I personally love it and K-ON! was another series of that genre that I felt was very well done.

7. Spice and Wolf II

The first of several sequels on this list…In this sequel to Spice and Wolf it took a different turn from what we’ve seen in the first season, which only kept the series interesting. Obviously the whole marketing idea was a heavy plot line, but the relationship between Horo and Lawrence really played a bigger importance and for this reason, this season was very engaging and the character development was very well thought out and executed.

6. Summer Wars

In terms of the movies that were released in Japan this year, Summer Wars evidently makes top of the list. It was really just really awesome as it brought us into two completely separate worlds and instantly engaged us into both. Visually alone, the film was incredible and outside of that, it still managed to succeed for many reasons.

5. Darker than Black: Ryusei no Gemini

Season two wasn’t all I wanted, but it did deliver something I didn’t expect and still managed to entertain me the whole way through. This was one of those series that I eagerly awaited every week for the new episode because I always wanted to see what would happen next.  The ending wasn’t all that amazing, but nor was season one’s and that was before we knew it would have a second season and I still felt satisfied with how it ended in the long run, which is the same way I feel for the sequel.

4. Bakemonogatari

Bakemonogatari is a series that seems essential to every top list of this year. I’ve been following the director’s (Shinbou, Akiyuki) work for a while now because I love most of his work and this series is no exception. This series brings everything you want to see in a series; awesome characters, great animation, good soundtrack, intriguing plotlines and more. Its sort of difficult not to love at least one aspect of this series.

3. Canaan

Its been less than a week since I marathoned this whole anime and I really had to add it onto this list. I may just have not got a chance to absorb fully this series for everything it was with the afterthoughts and such, but at the moment all I can really see out of this series is how I really loved it. The adrenaline rush I got and the story was all so interesting and despite everyone telling me I would probably hate the second half or the ending, I didn’t because I loved it all. This was a great series.

2. Eden of the East

This series was so close to making the number one spot! My only slightest problem I had with it was that I didn’t love the “Johnny Killer” arc, but really aside form that this was an incredible series. Almost every episode spelled out EPIC. It was an extremely compelling series that was nothing short from a joy to watch.

1. Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou

Between Eden of the East and this, I had some great difficulty choosing which was my favourite anime of the year, but as I took a good long while debating with myself the two, I came to a decision. Season two of Natsume Yuujinchou brought only every good thing that we saw in the first season. Each episode was amazing and to describe the series, the words beautiful, sentimental, and flipping awesome all come to mind. I connected with the characters on such an emotional level, I really hope this anime does not get lost among the new and the old and if you haven’t already watched this, start watching Natsume Yuujinchou now!

55 thoughts on “Top 10 Animes of 2009

1. lostty Post author

@chii: What would you have replaced those two animes that you “took out”? (just out of curiosity)

@zzeroparticle: I didn’t know Taisho Baseball Girls was any good? Well I’ll give it a try perhaps. I’ve heard tons of great stuff about Cross Game. Are you a baseball fan? x)

2. lostty Post author

@Kairu: aww, you’re too mean to K-ON! Why do you even hate it that much?

@blur: You should make a list! Canaan was just really entertaining for me, which is one of the most important things when I watch something…

3. Nikola

Eden of east was epic, i cant wait for the movie. Yes, “Johnny Killer” was a bit lame…name, but that part of anime was epic too. And new Darker than black was intresting too.

4. that one Cpt. named Falcon

I haven’t watched 2 many new animes, however I quite like
    “Phantom: Requiem for Phantom” which I’m pretty sure aired somewhere around Sept of 2009. If you haven’t seen it, check it out.

5. lostty Post author

@that one Cpt. named Falcon: long name :)
    I haven’t watched that many myself this year so I would imagine my list would probably change a lot if I gave everything a chance, but I did watch Phantom: Requiem for Phantom for the first few episodes and then just stopped, but I’ll definitely give it another go if you think its worth it.

6. Pingback: Top Ten: Best Anime of 2010 « Tea Trading Across a Latent Ocean

7. JamesSilverman

Hey Lostty I’m not sure if you’ve seen this anime but it’s definitely an awesome anime and reserved a spot on my top 10, you seem to enjoy animes with chick’s being in power and well surprised that you haven’t listed or named this anime anywhere but you should difinitely check out Kara no Kyoukai.

8. lostty Post author

@JamesSilverman: I saw the Kara no Kyoukai and didn’t like it too much, but I heard its sequels are incredible so I definitely will give the rest of the franchise another go.

9. Ray

I think Canaan is a wonderful show with good action, shoujo-ai elements and great characters. Good choice.

10. lostty Post author

@Ray: Thanks! A lot of people apparently hated the second half of the series, I don’t know what was wrong wit their brains, but I felt the whole series was incredible!

11. Noblesse Demon

I’ve watched Canaan, Eden of the East, and both seasons of Natsume Yuujinchou thanks to this… Just wanted to say thank you, And that they are all amazing.

12. lostty Post author

@Noblesse Demon: The fact that my opinion has helped you find some great anime to watch is so rewarding! Thank you so much!

@vijeta: no.

13. Pickachu553

Eden of the East was incredibly hard for me to find, but it was worth it. Good lord, what a good anime.

I’m planning to go on to Cencoroll, Time of Eve, and Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou. Thanks for the great list!

14. lostty Post author

@Pikachu553: Eden of the East is really a great anime and I’m glad you enjoyed it! Great next few choices, I’m glad I was able to help! :D

15. yaya papaya

its an okay list. But i prefer Kaichou wa maid-sama. its the best!:)
    -07 ghost
    -shakugan no shana
    -ladies versus butlers
    -code geass
    -pandora hearts

16. lostty Post author

@yaya papaya: That’s fine that you think that way considering your alternative title suggestions (safe Code Geass) prove we have some very different taste. Though, this is a list of anime from 2009, which does include your choices of: Kaichou wa maid-sama (2010), Shakugan no Shana is only in 2009 unless we’re counting the ova Shakugan no Shana S, Code Geass (2008) and Ladies Versus Butlers started two days before 2010, so I would probably count that in that year.

17. Jesse

I wanted to say you made an excellent list. I love to check your blogs on upcoming anime and the end of the year rankings. Please Continue to do this. just a fre thoughts. Darker Than Black was one of the best anime i have ever seen, but the second season was more then very dissapointing. I dont wanna get into specifics and spoil for any other readers. Also I would put eden of the east number 1. I feel even though it aired in 2009 its already a classic, and one of the most well done anime i have ever seen.

1. lostty Post author

I like looking at these types of lists too! I agree that the first season of Darker Than Black was much better than the second, but I just got so interested by the second season and foud it really entertaining in the end. I can agree with you that Eden of the East was amazing and I had a lot of difficulty wonderign about whether I should put it at number one. But if you see Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou, you’ll see why it deserves the spot!

1. Jesse

Thanks i appreciate the reply. I have not yet started Natsume yuujinchou or its sequal tho i definately plan to start in the near future, and when i do i will be sure to get back to you (: I personally found Darker than black 2 had a very unappealing ending, and i did not like the transfer of focus from Hei to Suo.

18. lelouch143

i nver watch any of this anime. is it really good? since im so busy, don hve to do some research bout latest anime, i alwys end up buy not-very-good-anime. ZOKU NATSUME YUUCHINCHOU got a first place. wat the story about? tell me a bit bout it.

1. lostty Post author

It made it to number one for me, so I guess I in the least consider it awesome. Well first off, Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou is a sequel to the show Natsume Yuujinchou. The premise (which I copied and pasted from MAL) is: Natsume Takashi has the ability to see spirits, which he has long kept secret. However, once he inherits a strange book that belonged to his deceased grandmother, Reiko, he discovers the reason why spirits surround him. Containing the names of these spirits, a binding contract was formed between the spirits and the owner of the book. Now, Natsume is determined to free the spirits and dissolve the contracts. With the help of a spirit cat, his days are filled trying to return the names to these spirits.
      It’s a calm series that is really worth the watch.

19. saname

hello, what you posted here is great, it helped me find interesting animes. I’m just a starter (in collecting animes) i really apreciate this. thank you

20. Zero

lostty. if you have posted an other top ten anime list, let me check it out. i would love to see it, because this list help me find good animes. so thank you and great animes you posted all tho K-NO was not that atractive to where you would sit down and watch the whole episode minute per minute but either way. thank you.

21. OverlordG

-Okay, I saw Bakemonogatari and it was awesome.
    -Time of Eve is the anime version of IRobot, only less melodramatic as said movie. Good stuff.
    -Summer Wars was a visual masterpiece.
    -K-On! is glorious.
    -CANAAN, despite me having had some minor issues with the plot I cannot deny I greatly enjoyed the show.

That’s it since I haven’t seen the other shows you mentioned.
    OverlordG´s latest post ..Basic steps to making a Shaft clone

1. lostty Post author

-yay for more bakemonogatari love!
      -Irobot’s nothign compared to Time of Eve
      -Summer Wars was fanatastic, the director also made The Girl who Leapt Through Time, which was another great film. Watch it if you haven’t!
      -K-on! is still awesome
      -Cannan left such a good impression on me, I’m still surprised that some people think its garbage.

I highly recommend Eden of the East and Natsume Yuujinchou. Both great series!

22. Josh

Just finished Canaan, loved everything about it. Didn’t think the second half or ending were at all weak, although I was super depressed that Maria and Canaan weren’t together haha. Also the open ending left me wanting more, but alas. Great series.